Thursday, November 18, 2010

of Deserts and Dingoes

Earlier this year my girlfriend and I
rage quit our jobs
packed a car with a tent and a box of cider.
we drove westerward
the desert spread itself before us
a ginger cat in front of the fire
pinking us with its vermillion reflection
igniting the love between us so all those we left behind
could only see out smoke.

The rolling silver wok of the astra
spat out the hot ribbon
of eaten bitumen miles
Four wheels, four doors
four cylinders and the two of us
and a road that stretched forever
towards the Never Never.

on either side the endless desert
bounded only by the shimmer and the sky
one could easily get lost out here
disappear into the dreaming
the desert monotony of
desert desert tree
desert desert tree
desert desert desert

OFFICER! OFFICER!
A dingo ate my girlfriend
A dingo ate my girlfriend
A dingo (with a sledgehammer)
A dingo with a sledgehammer ate my girlfriend
Cut her up and cooked her on the cooling engine hood
A dingo ate my girlfriend
I'm like what the fuck??

so I tried some myself.


3 comments:

  1. one of the reasons why i'm scared to go to the Outback..Ernie will eat my girlfriend

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was another stanza when you performed this at the Dan O'Connell this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no poem survives intact! each live performance has something different, whether it be a slow evolution or a lapse in memory!

    ReplyDelete